RCA Test Site
The former Radio Corporation of America, or RCA, operated a test facility on Evesboro-Road, between Elmwood and Sharp Roads, in Marlton. It was built at a cost of $150, 000. Originally, it was used as part of the RCA Home Instrument Offices and Laboratories in Cherry Hill, which opened in 1955. New models of RCA televisions were brought here and tested for thier reaction to interference. When the Home Instrument Division moved from Cherry Hill the Marlton Site was used for Radar testing.
View of the RCA Marlton Test Site when it was used for television set testing.
Engineer at work at the RCA Marlton Test Site. An antenna outside this lab was connected to this sensitive receiving equipment to see if interference from the TV set in the building seen in the window is within guidelines.
A television set being tested at the RCA Marlton Test Site. Prototype RCA TV Sets were brought here and tested to make sure they complied with FCC requirements covering interference emmitted by television sets.
RCA's Cherry Hill facility. After the Home Instrument Division moved it became a data processing facility. It has since been demolished and the Hillview shopping Center is now located here.
1963 aerial view of the RCA Test Site. By this time is was converted for Radar testing.
Above photos from the film "The Reasons Why"
This page was last updated: May 30, 2010